The modern world obliges us to constantly expose our eyes to school, home, and work screens. This aspect, in turn, results in various eye problems such as low vision or, even worse, being visually impaired. That said, digital problems require digital solutions; this is where you need the best cordless phone for visually impaired people.
Thanks to technological advancements, low or impaired vision is no longer a barrier to communication with your loved ones. These phones present unparalleled convenience owing to their outstanding features that specifically suit the visually impaired. Caller ID Announce, large keypad sizes, and digital answering machines with talking prompts are snippets of these features.
This article features some of the best cordless phones for visually impaired and a detailed buyer guide to aid in choosing one.
Best Cordless Phone for Visually Impaired Reviews 2023
1. AT&T EL52313 3-Handset Expandable Cordless Phone
The EL52313 estimable unit is equipped with features that ideally befit a wide range of users, extending to those with visual impairment. Bearing out this user-friendliness feature is the extra-large font displayed on the screen, complemented by its enlarged keys fitted on a backlit keypad.
Upon delivery, this deal is accompanied by three handsets for a start. If you are in a busy environment, this unit allows expansion to five handsets that efficiently utilize a single jack. Convenient, right? Auspiciously, this unit provides retrieval of messages from the handset.
The handset also bears an LCD panel. The white background and black text with a large font create an impressive contrast that boosts text readability or caller details. Even in a dim environment, you comfortably make calls as empowered by the backlit keypad.
- Lighted keypad.
- It features a digitalized recording time of up to 14 minutes.
- Expandable to five handsets.
- It has a timestamp on messages.
- It supports the screening of calls.
- It features high-yielding speakerphones conveying top-notch sound quality.
- It has extended talk time.
- Silence mode feature for the base unit and handset.
- Remote access enabled.
- Received messages bear a time stamp.
- It has a relatively low phonebook capacity (50 contacts).
- It also features a relatively low recording capacity (4 minutes).
Buy On Amazon
The Panasonic brand has paid heed to the consistency of conversations. This aspect graces you with a remarkable talk time of up to 10 hours. No need to fret anymore if the power runs out, as it can remain in standby mode for a maximum of 120 hours.
The unit’s design was also meant to accommodate individuals who use hearing aid T-Coil augmenting its user-friendliness. No more disturbances from robocalls and other unwanted parties as it provides the call block feature that can register up to 150 contacts just by simply pressing the call block dial.
The handset is fitted with an adequately large 1.6″ backlit LCD that displays all call functions regardless of prevailing light conditions—the amber-lighted keypad is also soft pressing for intuitive use which supports visually impaired individuals.
- It allows presetting of ringtones relative to Caller ID contacts.
- It features an intelligent Eco mode for power conservation.
- It comprises a phonebook directory capacity of up to 100 numbers.
- Intercommunication between handsets is supported.
- It has a nine-speed dial feature to save time.
- Expandable to six handsets.
- Wall-mountable base unit
- It is availed with only one handset.
Buy On Amazon
This bargain exemplifies convenience at its best. It boasts of a feature like a full-duplex speakerphone that will make your conversations enjoyable by ensuring peerless sound quality is achieved, making the unit even more favorable for the visually impaired.
You only get to bag a deal bearing two handsets after purchase. However, if the need for expansion arises, this bargain allows you to add more handsets (a maximum of five) that utilize a single jack. This unit also has an indicator that signals an awaiting voicemail.
The cordless handset’s screen has a white background coupled with black text, creating contrast, thus boosting readability and visibility for the visually impaired. You also get to know when a call was made to your handset as it is stamped with a date, name, number, and time.
- Enlarged backlit keys are suitable for the visually impaired.
- It has an extra-large font and a lighted keypad for convenience in any light conditions.
- Expandable to five handsets.
- It features a phonebook directory capacity of fifty contacts.
- Extra-large screen for uncomplicated viewing.
- Its Caller ID feature can register the history of up to 50 contacts.
- A bracket for wall mounting is included.
- Allows retrieval of messages from the handset.
- Nine-number speed dial.
- Customizable to silence mode.
- Voicemail services need a subscription.
Buy On Amazon
The most exceptional feature of this unit is its spectacular sound quality. You will undeniably be awed by the superb sound quality conveyed by this unit. You will quickly increase the volume twofold by pressing the loud button on the phone’s side.
This cordless system extends its value by ensuring compatibility with the hearing aid is not omitted. Both the handset and base unit features exquisite acoustics that actualizes hands-free conversations. A digital answering machine is incorporated and prides itself on having a record time of up to twenty-five minutes.
If you haven’t had the chance to upload an answering message, this unit has your back. It is armed with a preset answer announcement that will be useful. This unit has devised a mechanism involving a practical call key that has registered up to four varying SOS contact digits in case of emergencies.
- It has a phonebook directory capacity of 150 contacts.
- It features extra-large keys for ease of manipulation.
- Easy to set up.
- ECO DECT technology for power conservation.
- Excellent acoustics.
- Preset answer notification.
- Its digital answering system has a 25-minute recording capacity.
- The base unit is integrated with a charger.
- Purchase deal inclusive of only one handset
Buy On Amazon
Vtech Is8151-5 comprises five reliable and efficient handsets. The handset stands out owing to its super long range of 2300 feet, allowing communication even with neighbors. Despite such a long-range, it offers uninterrupted sound quality thanks to its state-of-the-art noise filtering technique.
It also exhibits a Caller ID Announce feature that allows the user to answer, block or forward calls depending on preference. Its digital answering machine features a voice guide for easy setup. The handset features a backlit display that displays large text to enhance visibility.
The keypads also feature a backlight to reinforce visibility even in minimal light. This unit saves you money through its Bluetooth feature that connects the device to a smartphone. This way, you can efficiently operate the handset from wherever while still using your cellular plan.
- Smart call blocker
- Caller ID Announce feature
- The unit can be connected to a maximum of four smartphones
- Backlit keypad and display
- Easy to set up using the voice guide
- Features a power backup system to extend battery life
- Easy to read owing to its large text
- Includes five handsets that can be expanded to 12
- Compatible with Siri, Google Now, and S Voice
- The handset indicates new messages through a red light rather than beeping
Buy On Amazon
This reputable brand presents yet another convenient and state-of-the-art cordless phone. The handset comprises the Dect 6.0 technique, enabling it to exhibit over a long range. With this technique, not even thick walls could hinder efficient communication.
The Panasonic brand is also famous for its potent yet long-lasting batteries, and the KX-TGF575S cordless phone is no exception. Upon being fully charged, the phone’s battery can last up to 12 hours of continuous use.
Consequently, the device prides itself on its Link2Cell Bluetooth feature that enables you to connect your smartphone to the handset. In this way, you can operate the cordless phone from any room in the house. The Bluetooth feature can accommodate a maximum of two smartphones.
This handset is recommended owing to its text-to-speech function. The handset announces the caller’s name and number through this feature, allowing the user to choose whether or not to answer the call.
- Includes five handsets for convenience
- Good sound quality thanks to its noise reduction technique
- It can be linked to a smartphone.
- Compatible with Google Now, Siri, and S Voice.
- It can block unwanted calls via a single button.
- Fitted with a belt clip and is also wall mountable.
- It has a voice paging system.
- Its quiet mode can only be activated by following instructions rather than pressing a single button.
Buy On Amazon
The Vtech B07C4SN9C1 handset prides itself on its unique smart call blocker feature modified by a voice guide. Through this modification, the handset guides the user in identifying the caller or filtering spam calls.
Even better is that it features talking prompts that foster an easy setup. This feature, in addition to its 22-minute recording capacity, makes its digital answering system ideal. The handset is also fitted with large and well-spaced buttons for convenience.
The device offers precise control as it can be set to announce the digits upon pressing the buttons. It also features a photo dial system, visual ringing indicator, and a 50-decibel Audio Assist to boost the call volume, making it suitable for the hearing impaired.
- Caller ID announce
- Adjustable ringer volume
- Fitted with an emergency button
- Large-sized ear cup button for enhanced comfort
- It offers easy setup thanks to its talking prompts
- Smart call blocker feature with voice guide
- Large buttons that are well spaced
- It can be accessed using a remote
- The efficacy of the emergency button could be hindered by network unavailability.
Buy On Amazon
As the name implies, this brand fosters vivid communication by satisfying vision and hearing needs through a single handset. Although it is a single cordless phone, it is expandable to five handsets. The unit was altruistically designed with the user’s comfort in mind.
It has ten speed-dial keys for starters, making it ideal for emergencies. These keys are designed with a soft material to the touch to maximize comfort. Consequently, the keypad is backlit and displays clear digits to cater to low-vision users.
It also caters for the hearing impaired through its T-coil technique that acts as a hearing aid. The handset is compact and easily portable, fitted with a belt clip for convenience.
- It features DECT 6.0 technique that enhances its sound quality
- It has a speed dial feature for efficiency
- Fitted with a belt clip to ease portability
- Easily adjustable ringer volume
- It has a backlit keypad with large keys
- It has a compact size
- Designed with a soft and comfortable material
- Includes a single keypad
Buy On Amazon
The esteemed Clarity brand presents yet another compact but convenient handset. This phone allows the user to use it as a corded or cordless device. In this way, the phone can stay in a fixed position for easy access and be carried around depending on its preference.
The unit allows multi-line operation for convenience. Besides, it can also be expanded to a maximum of four handsets. To reinforce its convenience, it features a large backlit keypad to enhance the visibility of its buttons. The display is also backlit and large enough for efficiency.
It prides itself on a dual battery backup that is handy during a power outage. Consequently, it can be connected to headsets or earphones for efficient communication.
- Features a dual keypad
- Allows multiline-operation
- Expandable to four handsets
- Extended battery runtime thanks to the dual battery backup feature
- Backlit display and base unit keypad
- Allows direct connection to headsets
- The handset keypad does not feature a backlight
Buy On Amazon
Best Cordless Phone for Visually Impaired Buyers’ Guide
Following advancements in technology that have seen smartphones develop, cordless phones are often perceived as outdated. However, these phones remain invaluable, especially for seniors, the visually and hearing impaired.
Finding the best cordless phone for the visually impaired may not be easy if you do not know the features to look out for.
That said, here are some of the aspects that characterize the best cordless phone for the visually impaired:
This factor is indispensable as it often comes in handy in dimly lit areas. An ideal phone for the visually impaired has a backlit keypad and a backlit display to enhance visibility.
In addition to being backlit, the screen should display large enough text to avoid straining the eyes.
Keypad and display backlight consume a significant amount of power on the cordless phone. Therefore, it is paramount to consider the battery runtime since the backlight is a must-have aspect for the best cordless phone for the visually impaired.
In addition to featuring a keypad and display backlight, handsets with a battery runtime of at least 12 hours are ideal.
Even better are the cordless phones that feature a dual battery backup or a power backup system. Such handsets can be used for extended periods, even during a power blackout.
Whether visually impaired or not, this is an indispensable factor when purchasing a cordless phone. This feature allows the user to choose whether or not to receive the call. Consequently, the phone user can deter spam or unwanted calls through this feature.
However, having a caller identification feature may not be enough for visually impaired individuals. For this reason, the best cordless phone for the visually impaired should have a caller identification announcement feature. Through this feature, the handset reads out the name or number of the caller for convenience. This way, the handset’s user doesn’t have to strain to read the caller’s name. Cordless phones that feature a text-to-speech function are recommended.
Portability fosters easy access to the cordless phone. For this reason, cordless phones fitted with a belt clip are ideal. In this way, they can be easily carried around and cannot be misplaced easily.
Consequently, cordless phones that are table/wall-mountable are also recommended depending on the user’s preference. This aspect makes the phone easy to access as they are installed in a fixed position.
Consider purchasing a handset that is fitted with a belt clip and can be mounted on the wall or table as well.
Some cordless phones feature Link2cell Bluetooth, and these are ideal. In this feature’s presence, the user is not obliged to move to answer a call as the handset can be controlled via a smartphone. Consequently, such handsets can be conveniently connected to devices such as headsets.
Connecting the handset to a smartphone also helps save money since the user can still use a cellular plan.
Smart call-blocking feature
This feature is vital as it allows you to avoid robocalls at the touch of a button. However, having a smart call blocker may not be enough for the best cordless phone for the visually impaired. Consider opting for a cordless phone with a smart call blocker reinforced with a voice guide.
Cordless phones with a permanent blocklisting feature and a smart call blocker are ideal. This way, the user can permanently block spam calls rather than constantly block them.
The best cordless phone for the visually impaired features at least five speed-dial buttons. This feature comes in handy, especially during emergencies. Through speed dial buttons, one can save essential numbers. In this way, it saves you the time and effort used to type the entire phone number.
This aspect is also crucial as it enables the phone user to operate the handset at a distance using a remote. For this reason, cordless handsets accessible using a remote are recommended.
In this case, Keypad size refers to the size of buttons on the cordless phone—an ideal handset for the visually impaired features large-sized buttons that are well spaced to avoid eye strains.
Even better are cordless phones that feature a dual keypad for convenience.
Most of the best cordless phones feature a digital answering machine. However, to reinforce convenience, consider cordless phones that feature talking prompts in addition to the digital answering machine. Talking prompts provide a step-by-step guide on setting up the device for convenience.
Ultimately, the best cordless phone for the visually impaired is highly user-friendly to suit even the technophobes. User-friendliness, in this case, entails the ease of using the handset in question—one of the primary factors that foster user-friendliness is the presence of talking prompts or a voice guide.
Also indispensable is the backlight and keypad size, which enhance visibility. The best cordless phone for the visually impaired exhibits these aspects in addition to undisputable convenience. With these handsets, not even low vision could prevent you from communicating effectively.